Skip to main content

I AM PREGNANT, WHAT TO DO?


News about pregnancy may have different impacts to people especially to the pregnant woman herself. Mixed emotions overflow at one time and you find yourself asking too many questions. Are you pregnant? Or know someone who’s pregnant? This article might help you to embrace pregnancy in its full beauty.

Welcoming Change

Pregnancy brings both physical and psychological changes to a woman and her other half. It pretty much involves the partner or husband as pregnancy happened because two individuals formed the baby inside. If you have a supportive partner or family, good for you because the journey is not going to be easy. However, if you will be voyaging alone in this expedition do not be afraid, instead be informed. And mommy, you are never alone, you have supports especially in the virtual world. We are in this point of time where internet and social media plays a growing importance in helping pregnant mothers go through the whole process. We can make it!

The physiologic changes of pregnancy occur gradually and eventually affect all the other organ systems of a woman’s body. Do not be afraid of the changes, for it’s normal. Remember, you are growing another human being inside. Changes are necessary to allow the body to be able to provide the physiologic needs of the growing fetus as well as your own needs as there will be increased metabolism during pregnancy.

The psychologic changes occur in response to the physical alterations and perceived responsibility associated in welcoming a new human being who will be completely dependent to you. Even with the magnitude of these changes, it’s a normal process of human life.

Common Psycho-social Changes That Occur with Pregnancy

(This is based on Adele Pillitteri’s book entitled Maternal and Child Health Nursing: Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing Family.)

First Trimester

Task: Accepting the pregnancy

At this stage, you and your partner spend time recovering from shock of learning you are pregnant. What? We are pregnant? Earlier on this stage you have so many ‘whys’ and ‘hows’ even to the question with the most obvious answer. You concentrate on what it feels like to be pregnant. A common reaction is ambivalence or feeling both pleased and not pleased about the pregnancy. Mommy, you must accept that you are pregnant especially on the first trimester.

Second Trimester

Task: Accepting the baby

During the second trimester, the psychologic task is to accept that you are having a baby. It’s different from accepting pregnancy. You may be moved through emotions such as narcissism and introversion as you concentrate on what it will feel like to be a parent. Role-playing and increased dreaming are common. A phenomenal (because it’s what I felt during my first pregnancy, I could not even contain my emotions) turning point in pregnancy is quickening.  Quickening is when you first feel that the fetus inside you is indeed alive because it moves! Until you experience this proof of your child’s existence, you might think of the life inside you as an integral part of yourself rather than a separate entity.

Third Trimester

Task: Preparing for the baby and end of pregnancy

At this stage, you and your partner become impatient with pregnancy as you ready yourselves for birth. “Nest building” activities are done such as planning the infant’s sleeping arrangements, buying clothes (sometimes as early as first trimester though), choosing the baby’s name, if you will breastfeed, or who will change diapers, et cetera.

As for me, pregnancy is a wonderful journey. I got pregnant at 26 and my first born is a girl named Akisha. I learned that I was pregnant only when it turned 9 weeks. I got married on July and missed my period on September. We planned to conceive after a year of marriage, but God has a different plan. Indeed, I enjoyed the perks of being pregnant. My husband was so supportive to me, our parents and relatives were so excited about it, my friends congratulated me, and my immediate manager that time was so supportive that he considered my condition and gave me lesser tasks.

If you think I had a smooth pregnancy, not at all. At 3 months, I had spotting and threatened abortion. At 6 months, I had lumbar radiculopathy (Lumbar radiculopathy refers to the condition involving the lumbar spinal nerve root. This can manifest as pain, numbness, or weakness of the buttock and leg) related to pregnancy. I was not advice to do long drives anymore and a month before my expected date of delivery I was on bed rest already.

Amidst the challenges, I will be forever grateful for the gift of life and the opportunity to become a mother.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FROM CORPORATE TO STAY-AT-HOME-MOM: HOW TO COPE UP WITH THE TRANSITION

Sometimes the strength of motherhood is greater than natural laws. -Barbara Kingsolver I was a Medical Sales Representative in a Multi-National company for six years when I finally decided to leave the corporate world. I was at that point in my life where I felt I was no longer fulfilled as an individual. I loved my job, the company, and the people that I had worked with, but I felt something was missing. I was also having problems with our babysitter that when she brought her boyfriend in our house without asking permission it made my decision to resign even stronger. I felt like missing a lot of moments with my daughter when I should be the one spending more time with her that she’s still a toddler. I prayed and asked help from my spiritual mentors and to my husband who supported me all the way. It was a leap of faith, having a little savings and the fear of what will happen next. I was filled with fear before I resigned. I was not sure of how things would turn out. Indeed,...

Product Review: Physiogel Calming Relief Gentle Cream Cleanser

Taking care of our skin especially our face is essential. Wearing make-up can enhance your physical beauty but if you don’t take good care of your face, you’re most likely to age faster. I was not into skin care before, if I clean my face with soap and water, it’s good to go already. However, I realized that it’s better to have a good skin care routine and not have make-up on your face than wearing make- up daily without proper skin care management. Today, I am going to share to you a product review on one of my favorite cleanser/make-up removers. Been using this for nine months already and I like the effect on my face. Of course, I use other skin products so the over-all result on my face is not solely exclusive to this product I am giving a review. This post is not sponsored, and I am writing this out of my own willingness because I really like the product. This could help other women and men in their decision before trying one. The product: Physiogel Hypoallergenic Calming...

WHAT MOTHERHOOD TAUGHT ME THAT MADE ME A BETTER INDIVIDUAL

To all mothers in every circumstance, including those who struggle- and all will- I say “Be peaceful. Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are.” -Jeffrey Holland I grew up in an environment where women are empowered. My mom single-handedly raised us when my father died. I was only 6 that time, my younger brother at 4. Life was hard but I didn’t know that because my mother was able to conceal the ugly side of life. Fast forward to present and I am now a mother myself. My daughter will be turning 3 this May and so far, I’m still able to cope up with the hustle and bustle of motherhood. Wow! Life’s pretty amazing and chaotic with a toddler. Being a millennial mom, these are the things that I’ve learned and experienced that I want to share with you. If you are a mother yourself, I know you can relate with these. If you are expecting or planning to have kids in the future, these might give you an idea of what awaits you. #1. A baby i...